It’s the most wonderful time of the year (well, almost)
Sorry I’m a sucker for early Christmas decor, but moving into our new house and finally having a mantle to decorate has sent me into Christmas overdrive. Thanks to a great sale at Michael’s I was able to snag florals for 70% off, making this wreath not only EASY but also very affordable.
I started with a grapevine wreath in “frosted natural” which has a bit of a glittery finish. This one retails for $19.99, but was 50% off and then an additional 25% off of that – so it came down to $7.50. There’s also standard grapevine wreaths that are a little cheaper but I liked the whitewashed look of this one. And of course, there’s always embroidery hoops that are super cheap and really hot this season!
I picked up two bundles of mixed greens and two hydrangea in a dark cranberry color from the floral section. Holiday greens were 70% off, but these cranberry hydrangea were not considered “holiday” so I payed a little more for them. Otherwise, the stems were a great deal too (I think I paid under $15 for everything)!
The last piece was a roll of burlap ribbon I found in the holiday section. Gold would look really pretty too.
To assemble, I first measured the length of the stems versus the wreath and cut off the excess. You’ll want to bend the stem so that it has some curve and matches the shape of the wreath form. To attach to the wreath, slip the end of the stem under a section of the wreath and secure with hot glue. To secure the top, I used a piece of twine and tied one of the inner branches to the wreath. This helps everything stay in place when hung vertically.
After attaching both greens, I added the hydrangea. Trim pretty close to the buds to remove the excess stem. I pushed them into the wreath and secured with hot glue, leaving a two inch gap between for a the bow.
After everything is in place, fluff out the greens and you’re all set to hang!
Ready to go!
I love the look of this wreath, especially now that my mantle greenery is also in place. For the mantle, I found some old brass candlesticks at Goodwill and wove a piece of garland between them. I tried tapered candles, but didn’t really love the look. So, I went with some flameless tealights with remote control (12 for $14, here!), which actually makes it easy to light these at night for an extra special glow.